This past week, Ruggles Lane opened our doors to welcome this learning community back to school for the 2016-2017 school year. We had an amazing start and are well on our way to an engaging school year! It was wonderful to connect with old friends, meet new ones and hear of summertime adventures!
Throughout the week, I found myself reflecting on all we have to be grateful for at RLS. While we have our challenges as a school and as a district, there is so much for us to celebrate. I strongly believe that the more we celebrate, the more positive our outlooks will be, which in turn will lead to more successes. This week, I am grateful for:
- Teachers who worked hard during their vacation to turn classrooms into welcoming small learning communities.
- Staff members, students and families who volunteered time over the summer to participate in RLS’ Extreme Makeover: Library Edition!
- Students who come to school eager and excited for a new year of adventures in learning with their friends.
- Communities that worked together to pass the QRSD budget. Thank you for your efforts!
- Teachers who planned engaging opening day activities to forge relationships with students first!
- Siblings who held hands as their brothers and sisters started at RLS for the first time.
- 6th graders who taught the newest members of our community our Constitution.
- Staff members whose “all hands on deck” attitude made our opening days smooth, safe, and fun!
- Walking Wednesday opportunities to connect with staff, students and families.
- The #KidsDeserveIt movement and Rita Pierson for impacting our staff on opening day and helping to set the stage for our work this year!
What are you grateful for at RLS? Respond in the comment box below or be on the lookout for an opportunity to share your thoughts on Thursday! If the last week is any indication of what is to come, 2016-2017 is going to be epic! I am excited for what is in store for our community!
Should you have any questions or concerns about anything in this newsletter, or any other aspect of your child’s RLS experience, please let me know. Do not hesitate to give me a call, to send an email or to stop by the office!
Welcome back and best wishes for a successful 2016-2017!
*At the top of this post, on the left hand side are a series of links to different pages of our blog. Click on the RLS 2016-2017 Calendar Link for a year long Google calendar. Some events only pertain to staff, but this calendar will be used to post all school events as well. Events are also posted to our Facebook page so that is a good resource to stay connected as well!
- Monday, September 5: No School, Labor Day
- Tuesday, September 6: Nutcracker Sign-Ups, 3:30-5:00, Barre Congregational
- Tuesday, September 6-Friday, September 9: PTO Book Fair (Click here for a schedule of the classes)
- Wednesday, September 7: Walking Wednesday, 8:00 am, Barre PD
- Wednesday, September 7: PTO Meeting, 7:00 pm
- Thursday, September 8: PTO Book Fair, 5:30-7:00
- Thursday, September 8: Meet & Greet, 6:00-7:00, 1st-6th Grades
- Wednesday, September 14: Walking Wednesday, 8:00 am, Barre PD
- Wednesday, September 14: 1/2 Day for Students, 11:45 Dismissal
- Monday,September 19: Picture Day
- Wednesday, September 21: Walking Wednesday, 8:00 am, Barre PD
- Wednesday, September 28: Walking Wednesday, 8:00 am, Barre PD
- Wednesday, September 28: 1/2 Day for Students, 11:45 Dismissal
We look forward to welcoming families on Thursday night for our annual Meet & Greet event with your child’s teachers from 6:00-7:00. The PTO Book Fair will be open from 5:30-7:00 so be sure to stop by and pick up a new book or two! Click here for the schedule of when classes will be attending.
Come be a part of this year’s Nutcracker! Students in grades 3-6 are welcome no matter what their dance experience. Sign-ups will be at the Barre Congregational Church on Tuesday, September 6th from 3:30-5:00. Rehearsals will be on Tuesdays from 3:30-5:00 and the performances will be on November 18th and November 21st. Any questions? See Mr. Killough-Miller.