I hope you are enjoying this long weekend with friends and family. As we prepared to pause to honor and celebrate our veterans this weekend, I challenged students during announcements on Thursday to take some time to think of the veterans they know in their lives. Many mentioned family members, friends or our very own School Nurse, Mrs. Tuttle! Children were encouraged to take action this weekend and thank a veteran for his/her service to our country.
The video below is a spectacular representation of one artist’s love of country. It is also amazing that the accompanying song is being played by young musicians! I thought you and your children would enjoy watching it.
As we take time this weekend to celebrate and thank our nation’s greatest heroes, it is also an opportunity to highlight our school values. Your children all know that the R in RLS, in addition to standing for Ruggles, stands for our goal of having a Respectful Community. The rule we aspire to each day to do this is to be a positive role model. The men and women who selflessly serve our country are positive role models for our young children.
To those of you who served or are serving this great country, I say thank you. It is your service that allows us to live in a democratic society in which each day RLS students celebrate that the USA values “liberty and justice for all.” The morning announcements serve as a time where our children get to practice being positive role models each and every day!
Should you have any questions or concerns about anything in this newsletter, or any other aspect of your child’s RLS experience, please let me know. Do not hesitate to give me a call, to send an email or to stop by the office!
*At the top of this post, on the left hand side are a series of links to different pages of our blog. Click on the RLS 2016-2017 Calendar Link for a year long Google calendar. Some events only pertain to staff, but this calendar will be used to post all school events as well. Events are also posted to our Facebook page so that is a good resource to stay connected too! If you subscribe to the Facebook calendar you will get notifications which are helpful reminders!
- Tuesday, November 15: Cookie Dough orders due (Nature’s Classroom fundraiser)
- Tuesday, November 15: Yoga class
- Wednesday, November 16: Walking Wednesday
- Thursday, November 17: School Committee meeting, 6:00 pm
- Friday, November 18: Angel Tree requests deadline (see below for more information)
- Wednesday, November 23-Friday, November 25: Thanksgiving Vacation
- Saturday, November 26: QRHS Alumni Soccer Game, 10:00 (Click here for more info)
- Wednesday, November 30: Walking Wednesday
- Thursday, December 1: Trimester I ends
- Week of December 5th: Winter Workshop sponsored by the PTO
- Wednesday, December 7: Walking Wednesday
- Wednesday, December 7: Early Release, 11:45, Professional Development
- Wednesday, December 7: PTO Meeting, 7:00pm
- Thursday, December 8: School Committee meeting, 6:00 pm
- Friday, December 9: Report Cards distributed
- Wednesday, December 14: Walking Wednesday
- Saturday, December 17: Breakfast with Santa, 8:00-10:00, sponsored by the PTO
- Wednesday, December 21: Walking Wednesday
- Friday, December 23-Monday, January 2: Vacation
The holidays are coming up very quickly, and while they bring joy and happiness, they can also cause stress and anxiety for some due to financial or emotional reasons. RLS, along with other organizations in town, can help ease some of the burden if needed. Please know requests for assistance are kept confidential. Our organizations can help with a special gift or a toy your child is wishing for this holiday season in addition to clothes, winter jackets, hats, mittens, boots, etc.
To request assistance, please do one of the following:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- call: 978.355.2934 x. 301
- mail: address letters to RLS Office Manager, Terri Consolmagno
Any request should provide the following information:
1) name, gender and age of all children residing in your home
2) include sizes for the requested items
3) prioritize your list the needs and “wishes” for this holiday season
4) please get this information to Terri Consolmagno by November 18, 2016
Our goal is to make the holiday season a happy one for the families of the RLS community. If you have any questions, please call Terri Consolmagno @ 978-355-2934 ext. 301