Dear Ruggles Lane Community,
On this eve of Staff Appreciation Week, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on how fortunate we are to have such an amazing staff at Ruggles Lane. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank every person on our staff for their dedication and commitment to the students whom we serve. Each and every day you make a difference in the lives of our students. I appreciate your hard work, the love you give to our kids, and the enthusiasm you bring to Ruggles each day. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
A big shout out goes out to all in our community who are sending in goodies on Tuesday for the PTO Staff Appreciation Luncheon. Thank you to the PTO for organizing this event which is a highlight every year!
Should you have any questions or concerns about anything in this newsletter, or any other aspect of your child’s RLS experience, please let us know. Do not hesitate to give us a call, to send an email or to stop by the office.
Julie & Chris
- Tuesday, May 7: Nature’s Classroom Walk-a-Thon
- Wednesday, May 8: Student Council Spirit Day – Hilcoff Holiday Extravaganza (aka Dress Like Your Favorite Holiday Day)
- May 9/10: Grades 5 & 6 Math MCAS
- Friday, May 10: Grade 1 Field Trip
- May 13/14: Grades 3 & 4 Math MCAS
- Wednesday, May 15: Early Release, 11:35 Dismissal
- May 16/17: Grade 5 Science & Technology MCAS
- Friday, May 17: Special Olympics
- Tuesday, May 21: Grade 3 Fairy-tale Showcase
- Wednesday, May 22: Memorial Day Program @1:30 (Families Invited)
- Thursday, May 23: Kindergarten Field Trip
- Friday, May 24: Student Council Spirit Day – Crazy Hair Day (note date change from flyer)
- Monday, May 27: No School, Memorial Day
- May 28/29: Kindergarten Screening (No school for current kinders)
- May 28-May 31: Nature’s Classroom
- May 31: Student Council Field Trip to the Food Pantry
- Monday, June 3: Student Council Spirit Day – Book Character Day
- Monday, June 3: Summer Reading Kickoff, 6-7
- Monday, June 3: K-2 Field Day
- Tuesday, June 4: Grade 6 Field Trip
- Wednesday, June 5: Music Concert K-1, 1:00
- Wednesday, June 5: Music Concert 2-4, 2:00
- Friday, June 7: Grade 3 Field Trip
- Friday, June 7: Grade 4 Ellis Island Day
- Friday, June 7: Grade 6 Step Up Day @ QRMS
- Monday, June 10: Grade 6 Camp Putnam Trip
- Tuesday, June 11: Student Council Spirit Day – Career Day
- Wednesday, June 12: Grade 2 Field Trip
- Wednesday, June 12: Field Day, Grades 3-5
- Friday, June 14: Recognition Ceremony, Grade 6, 9:00
- Monday, June 17: Walk-to-School for Day 180
Picture of the Month
We are so excited to have Walking Wednesdays back! If you would like to join us, please meet on the Common for an 8:00 departure. This can be a drop-off event as long as parents wait for school staff to arrive. Parents, siblings and pets are more than welcome to join us! At times we have to cancel due to weather and try to do so by 7:30. We will post the cancellation to Instagram and Facebook by 7:30. An email will follow asap.
Student Council Spirit Day Wednesday – Hilcoff Holiday Extravaganza
Ms. Hilcoff, a teacher in the upper grades RISE classroom, loves to dress up for every holiday – and she goes all out for each one! Student Council thought it would be fun to have a Dress Like Your Favorite Holiday Day during which we try to reach her high standards of fun! If you need some inspiration, a slideshow of some of her favorites is below!
Student Council and Mrs. Tuttle are running a food drive during the month of May. During our last drive, we collected 500 pounds of food. Ms. V and Mr. Carlson are challenging the school to double that by collecting 1000 pounds. If we reach our goal, they will be in a dunk tank as a station at Field Day! If everyone brings in 2 pounds of food, we will reach our goal. Click here for a link to Student Council’s flyer! Thank you to 4th grader Hannah M. for making the flyer!
We are creating a new end of year tradition. On June 6th, from 6:00-7:00, we will have a Summer Reading Kickoff. Children will be encouraged to dress like their favorite book character to this event as there will be Book Character Parade. The Spring Book Fair will also be open so students can pick out some summer reading books. The details of this event are still being worked out but it is shaping up to be a fun event! This event will replace the Art Show as art projects are now being sent home throughout the year.
Based on our recent Shelter in Place for the tornado warning, I would like to highlight two aspects of the QRSD Parent Guide to School Emergencies found on page 2.
- Please do not call the school during an emergency. You may tie up telephone lines that are being used for communication with 911, first responders, and District personnel
- Please refrain from going to your child’s school and follow the instructions from the district regarding where and when you can be reunited with your child. We understand that emotions are high in an emergency situation and parents want to be reunited with their child as quickly as possible. Parents who arrive at the school in an emergency will interfere with the ability of first responders and school staff to do their jobs and may delay the reunification process.
As the weather turns warmer (well, maybe not today!), our thoughts turn to planning for the 2019-2020 school year. A major factor in that planning is class placement for students. Click here for a description of that process and how you can get your voice at the table when those decisions are made.
As we have the last two years, our goal will be to again pass out placement letters on the last day of school. However, that decision has not yet been made as the budget for next year, and therefore, the number of sections at Ruggles, has not yet been finalized. We will communicate the plan for the final day of school as we get closer to the end of the school year.
This year’s Memorial Day Program will take place on Wednesday, May 22 at 1:30. For those new to the Ruggles Lane family, this is a cherished tradition during which each grade level performs a song or a speech. Families are encouraged to attend.
A new tradition started two years ago is that we walk to school on the last day of school. Last year we had close to 200 walkers. Led by a police cruiser, we take over the road with a fire truck ending the parade! It is a lot of fun and is a great way to kick off the last three hours of our school year!
This year QRSD will continue to run Fun Frontier, a before and after school program. Click here
for their flyer and click here
for their brochure. Should you need information, feel free to reach out to the director, Kari Sacramone, at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a reminder, our office hours will be 8:00-4:00. During these times, if we do not answer the phone, we are helping another family and ask that you leave us a voice mail. We can also be reached via email at RLS@qrsd.org
for the official QRSD 2018-2019 calendar. The 2019-2020 calendar
has also recently been approved by the School Committee.