Dear Ruggles Reader,
Did you know there are over 35 days left to enjoy more summer reading? This summer, I have so enjoyed reading a mix of books – from professional reads, to books on the Massachusetts Children’s Book Award list, to my tried and true favorite historical fiction.
We would like to encourage students to share book reviews with one another using an online video making tool called Flip Grid. This easy to use app will allow students to record a 1 minute book review of each book they read. The goal of this project is to share the amazing books we are reading with one another and to get recommendations for more books!
Book reviews are really easy to make!
- Write a book review that takes one minute or less to read out loud
- Visit FlipGrid by clicking here (or visit https://flipgrid.com/)
- Enter our Flipgrid code: vz8f3l7 (that is a lower case L in between the 3 and the 7)
- The password for the grid is RLSReads2018 (case sensitive)
- Bookmark this page for easy access throughout the rest of the summer. You can also download the app to a phone or tablet
- Choose the grid that matches your book
- Click on the green plus sign and follow the prompts to record your review
Please note, videos have to be approved by the moderator so you will not see it right away. And don’t worry if your book has already been reviewed – multiple reviews of the same book are allowed!
There are some examples on the grid already – click here to hear a book review of book one from the Kane Chronicles, here for a review of Harry Potter and here for a review of Loser. Our newest review for Socks submitted today can be found here.
Some students are not comfortable being video taped. If this is the case, they can just show the cover of the book and record their voice. Other students do not like to hear their voice so they have written their book review and had a friend record the video. Another option would be to mail (email or snail) your review to Ms. V.
For each review recorded or sent in, each student will be given a raffle ticket – the more reviews you share, the more tickets you will get. All students who participate at least once, will be invited to our summer reading celebration on the first Friday of school (09/07/18) during which we will enjoy a frozen treat on the playground as well as an extra recess. At the celebration, students will use their tickets when we raffle off several prizes such as autographed copies of books, gift certificates to Barnes and Nobles and gift certificates to the RLS book fair.
Should you have any questions or concerns about anything in this newsletter, or any other aspect of your child’s RLS experience, please let me know. Do not hesitate to give me a call, to send an email or to stop by the office.
*Events are also posted to our Facebook page so that is a good resource to stay connected too. If you subscribe to the Facebook calendar you will get notifications which are helpful reminders.
- Thursday, August 9, 2:00-3:00: Kindergarten Play Date
- Thursday, August 23, 5:00-6:00: Kindergarten Orientation
- Monday, August 27, 2018: Staff Opening Day
- Tuesday, August 28: Happy New Year!
- Wednesday, August 29: Walking Wednesday
- Friday, August 31: No School
- Monday, September3: No School
- Wednesday, September 5: Walking Wednesday
- Friday, September 7: Summer Reading Celebration (Click here for more information)
- Wednesday, September 12: Walking Wednesday
- Wednesday, September 12: Early Release, 11:45
- Monday, September 17: No School, Professional Development Day
Picture of the Week
We are excited for this summer’s big Facilities upgrade project! The Staff Room makeover is underway!
Click here for a link to supply lists for each grade level. If purchasing supplies is a hardship for your family, please let Julie or Chris know via email and the school will have supplies ready for your child, at his/her desk on opening day. We can also arrange for pick up prior to school starting if you would prefer.
Teacher placement letters were distributed on the last day of school. If your child was absent, please email Julie or Chris and they will let you know your child’s placement.
Walking Wednesdays will start up again on Wednesday, August 29th. If you would like to join us, we leave from the Common at 8:00. Usually we get to school with ten minutes to spare for playtime on the playground! We would love to see you there! Parents do not have to walk with us but we do ask that you stay until school staff arrive from the School.
This year QRSD will continue to run Fun Frontier, a before and after school program. Click here
for their flyer and click here
for their brochure. Should you need information, feel free to reach out to the director, Kari Sacramone, at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a reminder, our office hours will be 8:00-4:00. During these times, if we do not answer the phone, we are helping another family and ask that you leave us a voice mail. We can also be reached via email at RLS@qrsd.org
for the 2018-2019 calendar.